Re: HD Regrets

Hi Bob

I recently did a similar thing and it worked.

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 03:05:17PM -0400, Bob Tilley (AT&T) wrote:
> I spent all of Sunday engaged in the venture of cleaning
> my /etc/fstab file.
>
> I have two hard drives in my Linux box, /dev/hda1 and /dev/hdb2.
> When I installed Knoppix, I learned that the installer will only
> copy files to one disk.  Modification of the .kconfig file is
> possible to enable installation to two drives but ...
> "a dollar short, a day late".
>
> The operation consisted of changing /etc/fstab and my
> disk structure so that the /home/$USER directories were located
> on /dev/hdb1, not /dev/hda1.

Good idea.

> I created mkdir'ed the directories
> /home-copy/$USER on hdb1

What exactly did you do? Should be
mkdir /home-copy
mount /dev/hdb1 /home-copy
etc.

> and cp'ed all dirs/files to
> /home-copy/*.  Then the original /home dir was rm -rf'ed,
> "/home-copy" was mv'ed into "/home",

Again: What exactly? I think you should not have mv'ed but
mkdir /home
umount /home-copy
mount /dev/hdb1 /home

> /etc/fstab was edited

What is it now??

> to reflect the new directory structure.  I thought everything was OK.
>
> I rebooted the box and when I logged in, /hdb1 did not exist.
> To summarize, F'ing with the box for an inordinate amount of time
> revealed that /dev/hdb1 was not being auto-mounted on bootup, only
> /dev/hda1.  I must manually "mount /dev/hdb1" to access the /home
> directory.
>
> My question is two-fold:  1)  How do I cause /dev/hdb1 to automount
>                               on bootup?
>                           2)  Is there a shorter solution to copying
>                               /home/* from /hda1 to /hdb1?  If so,
>                               what is it?
>
> Any comments are welcome at tilleyrw@cfl.rr.com.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Bob
>
> ----------
> The content of the message is a reflection only of the writer and not of AT&T or Tybrin.
>
> Robert Tilley
> 321-785-2010
> bobt@cocoa.tybrin.com
> tilleyrw@cfl.rr.com

HTH
--
Joachim Fahnenmüller

# Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
# your ~/.signature to help me spread!