kernel panic

I am dual booting xp and linux on a single harddrive.  I got both booting
with xp controlling the mbr and I added my linux grub bootsector to the xp
boot.ini in order to get linux to boot.  I installed debian off the sarge
net install cd using the 2.6 kernel.  The kernel that came with it runs
fine, but I compiled and installed a new kernel and it will not run.  When
I boot to it, it complains :
VFS: Cannot open root device "hda3" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

By the way:
/dev/hda3 is /
/dev/hda6 is boot

The auto generated boot options in grub are as follows(the top two work,
the bootom don't):

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.5-1-386
root            (hd0,5)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1-386 root=/dev/hda3 ro
initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.5-1-386
savedefault
boot

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.5-1-386 (recovery mode)
root            (hd0,5)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1-386 root=/dev/hda3 ro single
initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.5-1-386
savedefault
boot

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.5
root            (hd0,5)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.5 root=/dev/hda3 ro
savedefault
boot

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.5 (recovery mode)
root            (hd0,5)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.5 root=/dev/hda3 ro single
savedefault
boot

Might this have something to do with the no initrd option?
I thought debian boot loaders used the whole vmlinuz vmlinuz.old scenario,
is there a way to make this work?