Re: after dist-upgrade mutt in reverse video

Incoming from Richard Otte:
> On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 10:57:20PM -0600, s. keeling wrote:
> >
> > When you change them, do an "xrdb -merge .Xdefaults" then run
>
> This is beginning to puzzle me more and more.  I can control the
> colors of mutt (basically I want black fonts on a white background) as
> root with /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm-color.  For some reason it

Mutt colors are controlled by .muttrc

> doesn't work when I put the color info in ~/.app-defaults/XTerm-color.

Why are you bothering with ~/.app-defaults?  Just stuff them into
~/.Xresources, then xrdb -merge

> It then gets stranger:  Mutt ignores any color info I put in
> .Xresources, although this does affect the color in xterm.  So

Yes, mutt does ignore X resources; Mutt is not an X Window program.
It doesn't need X.  It _can be used_ in an X terminal program
(xterm/rxvt/??), but it doesn't need it.

If you want mutt to work right in both console (white on black) and in
reverse video (xterm/rxvt black on white), you may need to call up
mutt with different .muttrc's depending on where you are (console or X
terminal) when it's called.

Try some of these:

   xterm -e mutt &

   xterm -fg white -bg black -e mutt &

   xterm -fg black -bg white -e mutt &

   [in any console/terminal] mutt

In the first three of those, you're controlling the colors of xterm,
not mutt.  In the last one, you (your .muttrc) is controlling mutt's
colors.

- -