Re: addressbook recommendations?

At 2004-05-17T09:59:17Z, Randy Orrison <randy@orrison.com> writes:

> What are you using to edit the address book data, and where did you the
> get the ldap schema?  I've been wanting for a while to be able to use LDAP
> as a shared address book, and found many documents describing how to use
> it for authentication, but nothing coherent for setting it up as an
> address book.  Thanks for any pointers!

I've had the most luck with Evolution as an editor, since all KDE products
are read-only which makes them useless for me.  I've been using the
evolutionperson schema, which comes with the Debian evolution package (at
least, the one in unstable), along with person, organizationalPerson, and
inetOrgPerson.  I created a subdirectory in ou=addressbook,dc=example,dc=com
and it's been working perfectly.

An example entry looks like

    # John Smith, addressbook, example.com
    dn: cn=John Smith,ou=addressbook,dc=example,dc=com
    cn: John Smith
    sn: Smith
    mail: johnsmith@example.com
    telephoneNumber: 402-132-5435
    o: The Smith Company
    fileAs: Smith, John
    objectClass: top
    objectClass: person
    objectClass: organizationalPerson
    objectClass: inetOrgPerson
    objectClass: evolutionPerson

but Evolution formats and presents it as expected.
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.