Re: ALSA ok, but no sound

On Saturday 15 May 2004 12:20 pm, Joost De Cock wrote:

> Unfortunately, no sound is produced at all. I've double checked that the
> sound isn't muted (with alsamixer) but it's ok. PLaying a sound doesn't
> give any errors either.
>
> Any idea how I can make sure the thing actually works?

Modules look OK.

Test 1, is aplay -l

Does it show anything?

Test 2 is to try as root.  Look at who owns /dev/snd/ and company.  It
*should* be root:audio, and your user *should* be in the audio group.

Test 3, make sure artsd or jackd aren't running if you're trying to play with
something that can't work through one or the other of those sound daemons.

Finally, ever since a couple upgrades ago, my mixer has been completely
fubared.  I have to get PCM audio working by turning up some kind of 3D
Surround thing, my master volume doesn't work, and I can no longer pick which
channel I want to be the record source.  I don't know if my soundcard is
failing, or if someone at ALSA is smoking too much weed.  It's a real pain in
the ass.  If something like this is biting you, try turning up every obscure,
bizarre little slider and see if you get noise that way.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/