bold and normal fonts appear reversed in openoffice

I was trying OpenOffice on my Sid box running 2.4.26-1-686 kernel, and noticed that some fonts (Times and Palladino for example) appear reversed. This happens when apply a style to a body of text. Suppose I make it Text Body, and then modify the style so that Text Body is normal Times font. If I choose the font to be normal, it appears as bold onscreen and vice versa. However, it prints properly (I tried printing to a PDF file).

I then tried this to check this on my box running Sarge (2.4.26-1-686) and that too showed similar behavior.

Moreover, the bold button on the tool bar doesn't seem to have any effect on the appearance of the font on screen.

Anybody else experiencing this problem?

Here is what I have on Sid box:
~$ dpkg -l openoff* | grep '^ii.*'
ii  openoffice.org 1.1.1-2        high-quality office productivity suite
ii  openoffice.org 1.1.1-2        OpenOffice.org office suite binary files
ii  openoffice.org 1.1.1-2+3      Debian specific parts of OpenOffice.org
ii  openoffice.org 1.1+20030814-3 OpenOffice.org office suite help (English)
ii openoffice.org 1.1.1-2 English (US) language package for openoffice
ii  openoffice.org 1.1.1-2        French language package for openoffice.org
ii  openoffice.org 1.1.1-2        OpenOffice.org MIME bindings for KDE

and on Sarge, I have this:
$> dpkg -l openoff* | grep '^ii.*'
ii  openoffice.org 1.1.1-2        high-quality office productivity suite
ii  openoffice.org 1.1.1-2        OpenOffice.org office suite binary files
ii  openoffice.org 1.1.1-2+2      Debian specific parts of OpenOffice.org
ii  openoffice.org 1.1+20030814-3 OpenOffice.org office suite help (English)
ii openoffice.org 1.1.1-2 English (US) language package for openoffice

->HS

--
(Remove all underscores,_if any_, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)