Re: Re: Can rpm packages from other linux distribution be used on Debian?

>>      Our product is base on redhat,I will porting it to Debian,but in this
>> system,many procedure depend redhat rpms,for example:
>> glibc-2.3.2-11.9.i386.rpm, perl-5.8.0-88.i386.rpm,etc..
>>     At the start,I wanted to try install these rpm packages(from redhat)

> Once you have done that, the system is no longer really Debian, so I
> don't see the point. Figure out what Debian packages it depends on
> instead.

Yes,I think so.but our procedure depend rpm format,and I found that it can't find files it need in deb DB,I had been tried to install it on debian,
    #rpm -ivh myproduct-xxx-xx.rpm
the program will prompt: myproduct need perl >5.6, and the bash must be installed
In fact,the 2 debian packages has been installed,I think rpm command will read info from only rpm DB on debian.(If make myproduct-xxx-xx.rpm to deb format,I think more codes need be fixed,this proccess is complex,but I hadn't tried this way yet,I should try it tomorrow.)

>> On debian,but I found that thers is a lot work to do,some rpm packages
>> even can't be installed on it.(perhaps these rpms packages from redhat
>> can't be used on debian at all).

> In general they shouldn't be.

Thank you!

Rick