Problem with italian keyboard

Hi,
I've just installed debian unstable on my laptop (acer travelmate 342T) and I've some problem with the configuration of the keyboard (italian). I've configured the keyboard using kbdconfig and setting qwerty-italian-standard. Working with the console (without X11), I can use all the keys of my keyboard (included àèìòù) for writing login and password but after I'm logged I can use only english keys. I thougth it were a problem of my locales that initially were all to POSIX but after I set LC_ALL, LANG and LC_TYPE in my .bashrc nothing is changed.
I've configured in my system following locales:

gcast@calcolino:~$ locale -a
en_US
en_US.iso88591
en_US.utf8
italian
it_IT
it_IT.iso88591
it_IT.utf8
it_IT.utf8@euro
POSIX

and added in my .bashrc the following lines:

export LC_ALL=en_US
export LANG=en_US
export LC_CTYPE=iso_8859_1

Perhaps LC_TYPE isn't correct because with locale I've the following output:
gcast@calcolino:~$ locale
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"