Re: To dselect or aptitude, that is the question

Graham Williams wrote:

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 06:37, Alex Malinovich wrote:
On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 15:08, Florian Ernst wrote:
[...]
I prefer dselect for the one task that I use it for, and that's
dist-upgrades with the dependency resolution screen. The rest of the
time I use wajig. The only thing that I can't do that I wish I could
(And someone please fill me in if you know of a way) is remember which
packages got brought in for installation of package 'a'. So when I
remove package 'a' it'll remove it and all of the packages that were
brought in with it.

Hi Alex,

I think there's something like this in wajig:  purge-depend. This will
purge a package and those it depend on and not required by others. Not
exactly what you were asking, but close?

I believe 'dpkg --purge <package>' does this also.
After a period aptitude also recognises unused packages, and removes them, making a note of it enroute.

I find that I tend to use aptitude for single package/mini upgrade procedures, and dselect for major upgrade/dist-upgrade scenarios. dpkg --purge <package> for removal, because it does such a good job of it, and aptitude autoclean to keep things tidy. With using different agents in this nature, even though they employ the same apt-cache, I find it advantageous to employ the appropriate update command with each one before employing them. Otherwise, you can find yourself in a bit of a mess. I speak as one who has been scuffling round in the nether depths of the local rubbish dump, searching for dependencies and mysteriously missing programmes.
Regards,

David.