Re: Can't use GUI as root

Hi Toshiro
I'm on ppc Debian.

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 00:50, Toshiro wrote:
> I'm running sid and I can login to root from the console but when I try to
> startx if fails, the same happens with the graphical login manager. I don't
> have any problem using a normal user.
>
> Anybody know what's the problem?

/etc/gdm/gdm.conf and/or /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf

If you change there this
AllowRoot=false
AllowRoot=true

then you should be able to login as root, IINM.

>From the
"Gnome Display Manager Reference Manual" (Gnome Help Browser):
"The Configuration File - gdm.conf"

Excerpt:
-------------------------
AllowRoot
AllowRoot=true

Allow root (privileged user) to log in through GDM. Set this to false if
you want to disallow such logins. On systems that support PAM, this
parameter is not as useful as you can use PAM to do the same thing, and
in fact do even more. However it is still followed, so you should
probably leave it true for PAM systems.

HTH

Best Regards
Wolfgang