Re: need tool to configure network

On 05.04.2004 19:00, Ralph Crongeyer wrote:

>> > Try:
>> > dpkg-reconfigure etherconf
>>
>> I did. It asked me some questions which I answered - nice.
>> But it didn't change the /etc/network/interfaces and I've still no
>> etherconf tool anywhere.
>
> That is how you use the etherconf tool, "dpkg-reconfigure etherconf".

Ah, oh, that will need a little more memory in my head.

> when I do I get this:
> laptop:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces
> ### etherconf DEBCONF AREA. DO NOT EDIT THIS AREA OR INSERT TEXT BEFORE IT.
> auto lo eth0
>
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>         hostname laptop
>

> ### END OF DEBCONF AREA.  PLACE YOUR EDITS BELOW; THEY WILL BE PRESERVED.

I got
### etherconf DEBCONF AREA. DO NOT EDIT THIS AREA OR INSERT TEXT BEFORE IT.
auto lo eth0

iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.99
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.0.100

### END OF DEBCONF AREA.  PLACE YOUR EDITS BELOW; THEY WILL BE PRESERVED.

Now after deleting the file an running etherconf it's the same but with
the additional line

        broadcast 192.168.0.255

and the right, new value for gateway.

Christian