Re: AMD vs. Intel

On Mit, 2004-04-07 at 12:44, martin f krafft wrote:
> I am a huge fan of AMD, not only because their processors are
> cheaper.
>
> Recently, however, I have experienced random crashes on two machines
> that run AMDs. The crashes seem to be related to IO and happen

I have no first-hand experience, but from stories I heard it seems that
Intel has some benefits over AMD. Stories like USB stuff going haywire
after every two-dozen (dis)connects and other more or less obscure,
hard-to-track-down issues that might well never turn up in home use.
Your crash that is "somehow" related to heavy I/O nicely fits the
picture.
But as i said, for me that's all hearsay and may be only because I
listen to the wrong people.

In your case, I'd start by closely inspecting the system for electrical
issues like aged capacitors, blank or broken wires, half-lose connectors
et al. This is a cheap step that IMO should never be skipped.
Memtest always is a good idea if you can afford the downtime.
And if you have the means, you may succesively replace the hardware in
the box, starting with cables, controller, disk.

It could also be that some chip is insufficiently cooled, perhaps the
NIC that is mounted in the lowest slot. And so on. The list is endless.

cu,
Schnobs