Re: ALSA problems sarge 2.4.25

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 08:19:12AM -0500, lebbatdot@cogeco.ca wrote:
> ALl
> I have been trying to get ALSA working on my admitadly old IBM 300PL for
> the last while.  Extensive Googling and several kernel recompiles later
> I think I am in reverse!
> I am running sarge kernel version 2.4.25
> Here is the output of aadebug from the ALSA website
>
> Loaded Modules --------------------------------------------
> snd                    34276   0
>
> Modules Conf ----------------------------------------------
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
> options snd major=116 cards_limit=4
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
> alias /dev/dsp* snd-pcm-oss
> alias snd-card-0 snd-cs46xx
> alias snd-card-1 snd-ens1370
> alias snd-slot-0 snd-card-0
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-slot-0
> alias snd-slot-1 snd-card-1
> alias sound-slot-1 snd-slot-1
>
> ANy ideas on what to try next?
>

> Help appreciated

Perhaps your sound card requires some options.  try
"modinfo <your-card>".  I had a problem similar to this after an upgrade
of alsa, and I go it working by adding a line as follows to my
/etc/alsa/modutils/1.0 file:

options snd-sgalaxy index=0 id=CARD_0 sbport=0x220 wssport=0x530 irq=10 dma1=0

and then running "update-modules".

Your line will be different - my card is an s3, but you get the idea.
This may not "stick" after an upgrade.  My alsa was working and then
suddenly quit after an upgrade ( or maybe after going from 0.9 to 1.0) -
the driver refused to load-
or maybe the options line was being found somewhere else, but anyway,
after doing the above, my alsa began working again.