From: Michael Kahle [mailto:michael.kahle@scc-wi.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 2:34 PM
To: Debian-User@Lists. Debian. Org
Subject: RE: Woody and e1000 NICs - Checked by Vexira - - Checked by
Vexira -

On Tuesday, April 06, 2004 Scott Bounds wrote:

> Hello all. I am new to this list and am glad to be here.  I am also a
> real newbie with Debian.  I just got a basic install done yesterday
> (after four tries).  I guess I'm pretty dumb.  Anyway, I have three
> SuperMicro SuperServers, Intel P4, Intel Gigabit enet cards (on board)

> which use the e1000 drivers.  When installing Woody, it never
> recognized the cards (version bf-2.4).  I loaded RH9 on one of the
> other machines and after installing the driver from Intel I finally
> got it to recognize the cards and now they work.  I would like to get
> these cards working on the Debian machines as well.  So, if anyone can

> offer any advice or what I need to do to get it loaded, please help.
> Thanks in advance for any help or assistance.

I don't believe the bf-2.4 version contains those drivers.  That would
explain why it didn't recognize the cards.  Download the kernel source
for the latest stable 2.4 kernel here: http://www.kernel.org/

I would then check out this document:
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:wXbacUnGwAUJ:www.debianuniverse.com
/rea
donline/chapter/21+&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
NOTE: This was originally on linuxmagau's sight, but it looks like they
have decided to close shop after being cracked... :(  Too bad.  I really
like Jon Oxer's writing style.  Jon, if you read this, put the documents
you had written for linuxmagau up on your sight!  They are well written
and would be missed. :)

Roll your own kernel to add these new drivers.

Michael