daemons, init.d, and console output experts

hi all,

i posted about this problem late last night but here's a clearer
daytime description:

compiled and installed
ftp://ftp.smlink.com/linux/unsupported/slmodem-2.9.6.tar.gz without a
problem.  modem works fine when i (as root) use the debian script
included with slmodem-2.9.6.tar.gz or when i start the daemon manually
with "slmodemd /dev/slamr0".

i would like to run the script automatically at boot-time.  i added
the script to init.d (via this method
http://www.desktop-linux.net/debian-rclocal.htm) but the modem won't
respond to a kppp query after bootup.  the daemon *is* loaded though,
and interestingly, if i open a console window the modem will respond
to a kppp query but the open console window displays the output, not
the kppp dialog.  huh?  why would the daemon want to output to a
console window if it was loaded via init.d but not when it's loaded
manually after bootup?

anyway, i've read init.d docs and the script and various other docs
but am a bit befuddled.  if i can provide any more info that would be
helpful please let me know.

lastly, folks in #debian recommended that i post here, but if there is
a better place for my inquiry please tell me.  i've already inquired
on the linmodem mailing list.

thanks,

david
--