Re: Kernel 2.6.5 and Nvidia driver

Paul Johnson wrote:
Gokul Poduval <gokul.poduval@newgsystem.com> writes:

1) Go to http://www.minion.de/ and get the appropriate driver.
2) Realize that nVidia is more trouble than it's worth.
3) Chuck nVidia card, get a video card who cares about the Linux
  community (like, say, ATI).

How is ATI support better than Nvidia ? As far as I know, both provide
binary drivers, and nvidia was at this game much earlier than ati.

ATI's hardware at least works with the open software that's out there
pretty damn well in the first place.  The official drivers are a nice
perk.

Mesa DRI drivers only work with cards up to RV250-based (9200).  After
that, ATI have turned to be just like nVidia.  I would say they learned
from nVidia.  "Hey guys, look these other folks get praised by the OSS
comminuty for releasing binary-only Linux drivers.  We don't need to
give away our secrets anymore."  The reason is that even when ATI *did*
actively support the OSS community (like partial funding of the
development of the "radeon" driver) people still bought nVidia cards
with a binary-only driver because they were "better."  Now that ATI and
and nVidia are on equal footing marketshare/performace-wise they can
get away with the same as nVidia.

-Roberto Sanchez