Re: why must Debian call Taiwan a "Province of China"?

Kirk Strauser writes:
> I don't follow the Taiwan situation that closely, but don't you mean it
> the other way around?

No.  "Republic of China" comes from the days when the KMT ruled the island
and pretended to be the rightful government of China.  The Chinese
government calls itself the "People's Republic of China".

> OK, then I vote that we replace "United States of America" with
> "America".  It's also universally understood.

"America" is ambiguous.  "United States of America" is not a
controversial political statement at variance with common usage.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)