Re: How can I halt the PC during boot if CPU is running too fast?

on Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 08:13:47AM -0800, William Ballard (40311.nospam@comcast.net) wrote:
> I can O/C my computer stable to 230mhz FSB in Windows but it's not
> stable in Linux -- I get ReiserFS corruption.  Up to 220mhz is stable
> everywhere.  (Actually I can push it farther but don't want too much
> heat).
>
> I'd like  to check /proc/cpuinfo early in the runlevel init
> scripts, preferably before the root is mounted, and halt if the MHz
> number is too high.  However since 'sed', 'cut', 'bash', and 'halt' are
> only available on the filesystem, I'd either need a special tool like
> busybox available somewhere or else I have to compile this into the
> kernel itself.

Possibly an initrd.

Or a custom-compiled C solution.

One option might be to boot DOS (faster boot), run you CPU speed check,
and either shut down or load GNU/Linux via LOADLIN.EXE depending on the
result.

Peace.

    Necessity knows no law.