Re: math modelling

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 03:16:38PM +0200, Sebastiaan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, David Fokkema wrote:
> > You snipped the part away which said I'm using octave at the moment, ;-)
> >
> haha, ok. Just popped on the list today. In what way does octave limit
> you? Currently I am working daily with equations like you posted in
> another message, but in Matlab though.

Octave doesn't limit me in any way. The only 'problem' is that if you
want to calculate such a simple model, you have to write a for-loop and
store the calculated values in a vector for subsequent plotting. In
Coach, you have two windows: one for the model and one for the initial
values of the parameters. In the model window, you type things really as
simple as

v = v + a*dt
x = x + v*dt
t = t + dt

without having to worry about losing previous values of x which you had
to store in x(i) for example. You don't have to specify loops or
whatever. The program runs your simulation while it is tabulating and
plotting the values automatically. If you want to use more points,
specify that somewhere. The idea is that students should only worry
about their model, not about programming. Seems that something like this
is not (yet) available as free software.

David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!