Re: How does aptitude record automatically installed packages?

Simon Guest wrote:
> A great feature of aptitude is that it tracks automatically installed
> packages, removing these when no package I have explicitly installed
> depends on them.  But where does it record this info?
>
> I want to be able to see what I have explicitly installed ('manually
> installed') on my system, since this is the list I have to manage to keep
> my system maintainable.  Writing it down in a logbook just doesn't cut it.
>  ;-)

The actual info is stored in /var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates. The file
format is not bad, but you have to know that state 1 is autoinstalled,
state 3 is manually installed. I don't know what the other states are,
and it's not really documented. It's probably a bit field.

If you tell aptitude to limit the display to all packages matching ~M
it will display only automatically instaled packages. Or !~M will limit
it to those manually installed. This is probably more useful.

--
see shy jo