Re: Turn Debian into a Desktop-System what to do

Paul E Condon wrote:
On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 01:44:36AM +0100, Alexander Fitterling wrote:
/var/log amounts around 400MB of size - this is way huge! I want to
get rid of those files - could that be done without any problems if
considering to run the system without logging capabilities?

That sounds abnormally large.  Both of my home desktops (Sid) have
/var/log at about 13 MB.  In the lab that I admin at school, the
web/mail server has /var/log at 13 MB and the file/Samba/dhcp/NIS/NFS
server has it at 9 MB.

Have you considered trying to lower the log verbosity level for
which ever apps are the culprits?

I look forward see any responses!
Alex

Computers do fail from time to time. When your computer fails, and you
come to this list asking for help, there will likely be a question:
What do you see in the log?
True.  I rarely look in my log files, but when I need to I am glad that
they are there.

If you answer, "I don't know. I turned all that off." , you will likely
not get much useful help. This is not people being mean to a poor guy
in trouble. It is just that it is hard to give useful advice when the
standard source of useful clues is missing.
Absolutely.

-Roberto