RE: 2.6 upgrade

Hi Brian,

sorry for being not precise ...

in a console and as "root" you need to run

  modprobe -v mousedev
  modprobe -v psmouse

for a ps2-mouse. Otherwise replace 'psmouse' with 'sermouse' or similar,
depending on the mouse you have. The listing from
/lib/modules/2.6.0-1-k7/kernel/drivers/input/mouse
shows the modules available.

or better:

If you are uncertain about what module to choose, then you can alternately
run

  modconf

which will present you with a simple menu. Use the arrow keys to scroll
down to
  kernel/drivers/input
select by pressing <Enter>. A smaller menu will show, select mousedev with
enter. It will ask you, whether you really want to install this module :-)
and warn that the system might hang a bit if the hw does not like the
module. But be adventurous and select it anyway. Should it ask for
additional arguments, just hit <Enter>.

After that choose Exit and you are back in the first menu.
Scroll down to
  kernel/drivers/input/mouse
and select one of the entries and proceed as above.

The nice thing about "modconf" is that it will automatically add the magic
lines to /etc/modules thus loading them automagically at the next reboot.
You can remove modules like this. -- Stupid me not thinking about this in
the first place.

IFFFF your mouse happens to be a usb-mouse, then you need to go to
  kernel/drivers/usb/input
and proceed similarly.