Re: Internet Religion

Sean Furey wrote:
On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 09:00:12PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 09:01:47PM -0800, Day Brown wrote:

When you get right down to it, both Christianity and
Islam are dangerous cults.

How can you claim that a religion which preaches love for one's fellow
people is a dangerous cult? This is a tenet of both Christianity and Islam.

Of all the places that something like this could have come up right
now, debian-user would have been the last one I'd expect...

Whilst I wouldn't go so far as to say that Christianity and Islam are
nothing but dangerous cults, it is only recently that I've become
aware that many/most Christians believe that non-Christians are
automatically destined for hell.  Christianity does preach love for
one's fellow people as you say, but in my opinion that belief makes it
a very disturbing and possibly dangerous faith.

I have to disagree with you.  What is more disturbing to me
is that there are people that continue to *not* believe in
the face of overwhelming evidence, especially when salvation
is so simple.

Regardless of the evidence, all you need is faith.  True
Christians do love their fellow man, and do what they can
to lead them to salvation.  Have there been dark chapters
in the history of Christianity?  Sure.  But, people make
mistakes, as evidenced by the dark chapters present in the
history of every single religion, culture, society, and nation.

The point is that any good Christian will try their best to
lead the unsaved to salvation.  However, if the person chooses
not to accept salvation, the Christian will not belittle,
chastize, ostracize, harm, or otherwise maltreat the individual.
Anyone who does engage in such behavior and professes to know
Christ is either a liar or does not truly know Christ.

-Roberto