Re: Second X

Dennis Kaplan wrote:
How can I log in to a second X session on my debian machine?
Right now I have X on F7 I like to log in as a different user on F8

This is quite possible. It can be done with recent versions of GNOME with the "Applications->System Tools->New Login" menu option. KDE may have something similar, but I'm not familiar with that.

If you're not using either of those, it is still easy to spawn another X session. Use ctrl-alt-F2 or similar to get a text login, and then do a "startx -- :n" where n is the display number you want to use. On most systems, the first X session is :0 (F7). So doing a "startx -- :1" will get you a new session accessible by ctrl-alt-F8.

What exactly happens when you run startx is a different issue. Normally it runs the contents of ~/.xinitrc. You might just put something simple like "startkde" in there. If this file doesn't exist, there will be some system default desktop environment.

Regards,
John Spray
(jcs116 at york.ac.uk)