Re: ieee1394 ethernet

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 12:54:47AM -0500, Bruce wrote:
> > I am looking to set up an ethernet connection using ieee1394
> > (Firewire/ILink) between two Debian sid machines, and haven't had much
> > luck.

> Right.  Firewire is not ethernet.

I apologize if I am not using the correct terminology. However, to quote
the "IEEE 1394 for Linux" page at
http://www.linux1394.org/eth1394.html:

"When loaded, along with a host controller, you can configure the ethX
(e.g., eth0, eth1, eth2) interfaces the same as you would for a normal
ethernet interface. One ethernet interface is configured for each
IEEE-1394 host configured."

Based on the above it appeared to me reasonable to assume that, once I
loaded the correct modules (eth1394), I could configure and use the
firewire device, using ethX, in much the same way as a real ethernet
device. Which, it turns out, I could. After fiddling around with it a bit
more I realized there was a conflict between my real ethernet interfaces
and the firewire interface; once I took the regular interfaces (eth0)
down, I was able to connect and transfer files between the two computers
over the firewire interface.

I did have some problems with the connection after several Gb, but the
page does caution the driver is still somewhat unstable. It does work,
however, and works pretty much the same as an ethernet device.

B.