Re: Newbie Install

Hi,

* John G <jhgraves@gis.net> [2004-01-19 20:12]:
>I am about to put up my first server.  I hope to make it dual boot to
>get experience on both linux and windows 2003.

That would be a workstation then, not a server?

>1.  Which os do I load first.  Everything I have read so far assumes I
>have already installed windows.  But this is a clean server.

Install Windows first. It's a bad sportsman and has a history of
interfering with other operating systems.

Make sure that Windows boot from the bootmanager you choose. I like
Grub, but Lilo seems to be more popular and more easy to use
initially.

>2. Which is easier, to install from the Knoppix disk, or from the Debian
>disk.  I know that the Knoppix will work because it booted completely from
>the CD.

If Knoppix works, then other Debians work. If you want to learn, I
suggest installing a stock Woody. That is more work but also more
learning.

Don't use Sarge or Sid.

Thorsten
--
The history of Liberty is a history of the limitation of government power.
    - Woodrow Wilson