Screen resolution in X - laptop

First time using debian seriously on a laptop. Have a fujitsu siemens
with a radion mobility:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon
Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]

The lcd runs at a maximum of 1024x768.
The monitor runs at 1600x1200.

Under windows - when the monitor alone was selected I would get
1600x1200 - otherwise 1024x768.

At boot - the boot comes up on the monitor until kdm starts when it
switches to the LCD.

If I Fn-F10 (change monitor) then X is on the monitor too - but at
1024x768.

If I change resolution with Ctrl-Alt-+/- then it reverts back to the
LCD.

Plus - this resolution change only runs thru "1024x768" "800x600"
"640x480".

XF86Config-4 has the two missing config lines included.

I'm sure that this will be something to do with the XF config - but
I'm not at all sure how to get the config I need (not sure about
laptops and what changes when you dock and undock for example).

Hints welcome (incl FAQ/HOWTO etc).

Many thanks.

--
Chris Searle