Re: Recommended ISP's

Quoting Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca>:
[snip]
> You're sharing bandwidth, as in, the same spectrum on the cable line.
> If you sit on your cable modem with a packet sniffer, you'll see
> broadcasts for the IP subnet you're on and packets destined for you
> only.  Watch the light on the modem flicker, and it doesn't coincide
> with anything else.  Meanwhile, DSL, you're just fighting for
> bandwidth with all the other DSL users that's left over after all the
> customers with gauranteed bandwidth (t1, t3, etc) have had their fill.

Please give instructions on how this is done.  I have heard alleged by
some people.  I have also heard acknowledged experts in the field say
it is not (or no longer) possible.  I have put the NIC on my cable
modem in promiscuous mode and saw nothing but my own traffic.

There may be a way to hack the cable modem itself to be in promiscious
mode, but I haven't heard anyone give any good explanation of this.

In anycase, it is pointless paranoia.  A much more plausible scenario
is a disgruntled employee at any of the computers between you and the
destination sniffing packets.  Or someone hacking those
computers/routers.

If the data is sensitive, encrypt it.  Especially if it goes through
computers you do not control.  I use SSH even on my home LAN.

Jeffrey