Re: problem with dns/network

On 2004-01-15, enantiomer penned:

> ----------------------resolv.conf ------------------------------------
> search eggnog
> nameserver 204.127.198.4
> -----------------------end
> resolv.conf---------------------------------
>
> As I understand it, search represents the local domain.. i couldn't
> remember if that was what I named my local domain or not... is there a
> way to check this?  Also, the nameserver is the same one that I use
> for my other linux machine, which works just fine.  BTW, the machine
> that isn't working well is a laptop with a pcmcia network card, if
> that is relevant? I'm totally in the dark when it comes to linux
> networking configurations. Anyone see anything wrong of have any
> advise?  Thanks a million,
>    Jon

What is eggnog?  A machine name?

I believe that search is used so that you can shorthand hostnames ...
so, for example, if you have

search bounceswoosh.org

then if you try to, say,

ssh rabbit

it would try rabbit.bounceswoosh.org

If you have multiple domains listed, it will go through all of them,
looking for a match.

A search statement is not necessary for your network to work, although
it's possible it's what you want.

--
monique