Re: apt-get install zope fails

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 10:14:06AM -0200 or thereabouts, Joao Carlos de Lima Roscoe wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> I've followed your suggestion, and got reportbug - it is really useful.
> Meanwhile, I've been struggling with my zope install and managed to fix
> a few gotchas (I'll send them as adittional
> info to the package maintainer). At this point, I have default instance
> data in place, but zope does not start properly yet.
> So I used export Z_DEBUG_MODE=1 to get some adittional info, and got the
> messages below:
>
>    debian-hp:/usr/lib/zope/lib/python# zopectl start
>    Starting Zope instance default...
>    ------
>    2004-01-16T10:07:18 PANIC(300) z2 Startup exception
>    Traceback (innermost last):
>      File /usr/lib/zope/z2.py, line 593, in ?
>      File /usr/lib/zope/lib/python/Zope/__init__.py, line 45, in startup
>      File /usr/lib/zope/lib/python/Zope/App/startup.py, line 16, in ?
>      File /usr/lib/zope/lib/python/AccessControl/__init__.py, line 16, in ?
>      File /usr/lib/zope/lib/python/AccessControl/DTML.py, line 18, in ?
>      File /usr/lib/zope/lib/python/DocumentTemplate/__init__.py, line
>    21, in ?
>    ImportError: /usr/lib/zope/lib/python/ExtensionClass.so: undefined
>    symbol: PyType_IsSubtype
>     Waiting instances in late:default: timeout: 30
>    debian-hp:/usr/lib/zope/lib/python#
>

> Now I am really puzzled - it seems that there's something broken in zope
> code itself. What do you think about it?

Hi Joao:

I think we're both struggling with it --  more than a few things are
borked it appears. Just yesterday, I managed to get plone working. I had
to alter the '/usr/sbin/zope-z2' file to have this line: 'exec
/usr/bin/python2.2 -O /usr/lib/zope/z2.py $@' INSTEAD OF '#exec
python2.2 -O /usr/lib/zope/z2.py $@'. That's just to start cmf-plone.

I still haven't been able to get the Tutorial to work. The bug had been
filed previously, but the maintainer isn't as forthcoming with any
suggestion as to what I can do to fix this locally. The plone
maintainer, was a little more helpful -- He told me the line to fix
above. Very nice, actually.

So, perhaps ask on the Zope e-mail list. I had somebody
from Debian on that list tell be about reportbug. So, it might be worth
a go. There doesn't appear to be many people here, who use Zope,
unfortunately.

> Thanks a lot,

Sorry, I couldn't help specifically.

--