Re: Debian booting new kernel

Once upon a time Devin Atencio said...

> I am kind of stumped cause I downloaded the kernel-source-2.4.23
> from apt-get, Then ran make-kpkg kernel_image. I then ran dpkg
> -i kernel-image-whatever.deb And installed the kernel. When
> I reboot the machine it still boots the old kernel.  I even
> looked at my /etc/lilo.conf and it points to /boot/vmlinuz
> for the default Entry and /boot/vmlinuz is a symbolic link to
> the vmlinuz-2.4.23 kernel file. I Have attached a copy of my
> directory listing and wanted any suggestions on what I might
> Have wrong? I have also ran the command "lilo" to rebuild the
> lilo config and that

Maybe a silly question, but are you actually using lilo to boot?

I noticed that you have a /boot/grub directory which suggests you have
grub installed, which further suggests you're using it to boot.

Try running update-grub and rebooting to see if that works.
If it does work, there are some hooks you can put in to automatically
run update-grub whenever you install a new kernel (build with make-kpkg)