Re: Multiple ip addresses with hardware router

Tony Baechler <tb@baechler.net> writes:

> Hello all.  This is my first post to the list, so sorry if this is
> off topic.  I have a Dlink di604 hardware router.  I am running
> Debian Woody.  Is there a way I can get Linux to listen to multiple
> ip addresses (not the internal 192.168 block, but in the 68.x.x.x
> block)?

Sure, just add alias stanzas to your /etc/network/interfaces file.
For example:

auto eth0 eth0:1
iface eth0 inet static
        address 18.101.2.50
        netmask 255.255.255.240
        broadcast 18.101.2.63
        gateway 18.101.2.49
iface eth0:1 inet static
        address 192.168.1.2
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        broadcast 192.168.1.255

> Does the hardware router block all but one ip address or is there a
> way around this?

You'd have to look in its manual for details.  Certainly, my router
box (a somewhat sad P100 running woody) has three IP addresses across
two interfaces, and works fine for almost everything.  There's nothing
intrinsic in the concept of "router" that prevents you from having
multiple external addresses, forwarding some internal addresses
unchanged but NATting others, etc.

	-- Abra Mitchell