Re: dma timeout

additional information. (sorry for my verbose mail)

(please tell me if you feel
this mail focus on off-topic subject.
and, if possible, appropriate place, too)

I've took another approch to get by.
my plan is ...
1. installing another OSes, such as FreeBSD 4.9 and Windows98,
2. make sure where DMA work file on no-linux OS.
   (if my hdd working fine, my DMA-Problem is Linux-related problem)

** FreeBSD 4.9 **
first, I tried to install FreeBSD 4.9 on my QUANTUM FIREBALL EX12.7A,
which doesn't work well on debian.

Actually, I didn't even arrive at the installer.
(when loading kernel image,
lots of 'READ COMMAND TIMEOUT' message displayed,
and then automatically rebooted)
But, with no-dma option enabled or fireball removed from my pc,
I could be there smoothly.

** Windows98 **
on windows' contorol panel, I enabled dma of fireball.
as usual, windows prompted me to reboot and I did so.
after the rebooting, I found fireball automatically disabled, which
means windows can't get it on. (that's all ok when I enabled dma of my deskstar)

As a result,
It's seem to me that this is not linux(or software) related problem.
(if anything, hardware problem I think)

I can use new hdd, Deskstar, with dma33 mode,
so I'm sure my cable and motherboard is fine.

I heard there are like hdds that claim to be DMA capable but aren't.
I suspect that my disk classified as this category.

So...
if you (or your friend) have QUANTUM FIREBALL EX series, and
getting fine with it(I mean, working on dma-mode), plase tell me.

Any suggestion greatly appreciated.