/etc/modules after a new kernel compile

After migrating over from that other OS a couple years ago, I've finally
taken the plunge and recompiled my own kernel using debian kernel
package.  Everything went smoothly and I'm now running 2.4.23.  I should
have done it much sooner.

I've only one question I'm not sure about and haven't found in the docs
(although I'm sure it's right there under my nose) .....

Under the old kernel - 2.4.18-bf2.4 - I had used modconf to add-in the
following modules:

usb-uhci        input
usbkbd          keybdev
agpgart         mousedev
sg              maestro3
usbmouse        usb-storage
binfmt_aout     binfmt_misc
apm             ppp_generic
ppp_synctty     msdos
tulip

Now, under the new kernel - 2.4.23 - I've got these compiled in.  But
when I boot, not unsurprisingly I get errors messages like:

    usbmouse modprobe: Can't locate module usbmouse

and so on for every module that is now compiled in but used to be added
in.

These are the modules that are listed in /etc/modules.  Is it safe to
just manually edit that file and remove the entries?

Thanks
Kevin

--
Kevin Coyner