Re: emergency: Openoffice, Fonts, what a mess

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 04:57:46AM +0100, Christian Schnobrich wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 03:36, Kevin Mark wrote:
>
> 03:36? This didn't reach me before 04:30...

Don't know why?! but my ntpdate is running.

> > This is the kind of things that hurt Linux for the desktop. When average users, trying to
> > get 'WORK' done, do a 'routine' upgrade and have a wrench thrown into a seemingly simple
>
> Not that simple. Some physics paper with lots of greek letters and
> embedded graphis and functions and whatnot.
> Admittedly, I didn't belive that Openoffice was a good means to get it
> done in the first place. But I don't know any better means, either.
>
> >  My idea is to downgrade OO. And
>
> Won't this possibly break even more? I lack knowledge of apt-pinning &c,
> and there's no time for learning now. My only means would be to replace
> the current sources.list entry with one that provides v1.0 -- risky or
> OK?o

I didn't check... but... most packages do not have more than 7
dependecies from what I've read. Here is something that you can try. I
found it VERY enlightening.
apt-get install apt-rdepends
apt-rdepends -d <fill-in-the-main-openoffice-package> > oo.dot
apt-get install dotty
dotty oo.dot
you also do 'reverse' dependencies with -r (apt-rdepends -r -d ... )
it shows what <pkg> is needed by.

> > hopefully this will 'pull-in' the fonts that were messed up. Also, print
> > the files to 'pdf' first.
>
> Output to PDF is an OO 1.1 feature.Though this may be necessary either

Opps. my bad.

> way: my postscript printer messes up some of the greek and symbol
> characters. So she may need to provide a pdf file as well:
> "Look, this is what I've done, but I couldn't get it printed properly"
>
> > affected by 'upgrades'. I'd also check /var/cache/apt/archives for any
> > xfonts that are not installed. I think you can use dpkg --get-selections
> > to see what is missing.
>
> huh? I don't even understand what this means.

if output 'dpkg --get-selections | grep xfonts' you should see what is
installed. And then, 'ls /var/cache/apt/archives/xfont*.deb' do see what
is on the system. you should see what was removed in the upgrade. you
may be able to install the old versions to 'temporarily' fix the
problem. And as well, if you try to downgrade OO it may not break
1,000,000 things. do a dpkg --simulate -i <pkg>.deb so that you can see
what will happen before you do it for real.

BUT HERE IS A BETTER IDEA!

get a somewhat recent version of knoppix! it may be able to help you get
the document printed. Not sure what version may be good. the newest or a
not so new version. but one of them should 'do the right thing'.

-Kev