Re: ATI Radeon driver + Linux2.6?

Rob Sims wrote:
On Monday 05 January 2004 05:30 pm, Björn Johansson wrote:

I've recently installed a 2.6.0 kernel, and I have a problem
with the graphics in X. The problem is that I can't succesfully
recompile the fglrx driver, so the system uses MESA instead
of the graphic libraries provided by the official ATI package.

Is it possible to use the Ati FireGL drivers with 2.6?

Check for instructions (and a patch) on www.rage3d.com, in the Linux forum. I got 3.2.8 to compile with those instructions. Initially, I had errors when starting kdm (and many other apps) that caused X to exit; the logs showed entries like "Can't register SecondaryColorxxxEXT." Fixed by removing /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so, which was not provided by the ATI drivers; libGL.so.1 was.

Also, you must be actively running the desired kernel to compile the module using ATI's script. Run the installation from a text-mode window with the modules radeon and radeonfb not loaded.
--
Rob

The ATI 3.7.0 driver works out of the box.  The open source
DRI drivers also work great.

-Roberto