New problem w/ old scanner (Epson 1640SU w/ ADF)

I've had, and used, this scanner for quite a while now (probably about 2
years), both with SCSI and, more recently, USB connections. But I haven't
needed the ADF for the past few months until this week. Apparently
something I've done in the interim made it much more finnicky.

The symptom is this: when using scanimage to read in a batch of pages
through the ADF, the scanner reads between 1 and 4 pages of the pile, then
decides it's finished:

Scanning -1 pages, incrementing by 1, numbering from 1
Scanning page 1
scanimage: scanning image of size 1016x1679 pixels at 1 bits/pixel
scanimage: acquiring gray frame
scanimage: read 213233 bytes in total
Scanned page 1. (scanner status = 5)
Scanning page 2
[epson] option: fatal error
[epson] ADF: other error
[epson] ADF: no paper
scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument
scanimage: read 0 bytes in total
Scanned page 2. (scanner status = 4)

even though there's more in the bin.  Reissuing the command reads in
another small number of pages, but never does it run through the entire
document, which is what it used to do.

Any suggestions will be most welcome.

System information:
Pentium 4 3Ghz processor, 1GB RAM
debian testing/unstable, kernel 2.4.22 (self-compiled)
aperrin@perrin:~/readings/soc10$ /usr/bin/scanimage --version
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.12; backend version 1.0.12

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu