Re: NFS Mount .... Permission Deny

hi ya alexander

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Alexander B. Cheng wrote:

> I'm getting permission deny by server when I try to mount NFS on a
> client machine.
>
> my /etc/exports is
>
> /home/kingsmen 192.168.10.0/24(rw)
>
> my /etc/hosts.allow is
>
> ALL:192.168.10.10

explicity define only what you really want ... not allow the world
to hack your boxes

	#
	# some silly apps like netmask explicitly defined
	#
	# portmap:	192.168.10.0/255.255.255.0
	portmap:	192.168.10.0
	#
	mountd:		192.168.10.0

> and my /etc/hosts.deny is
>
> portmap:ALL

change /etc/hosts.deny to only have "one line" ...

	ALL:ALL

restart portmapper and nfs servers on the remote host and
restart the nfs clients on the local pc

test it with...

	remote-host#  rpcinfo -p
		portmapper
		mountd
		nfs

	localpc#  rpcinfo -p remote-host
		-- same list as above

	localpc# mount remote-host:/home/kingsmen /mnt/kingsmen

	and use scp to do any file moving around..

	if you remotely vi those files.. than you're assuming
	nobody is sniffing that nfs traffic
		( NFS -> Not For Security )

c ya
alvin