Re: Is there any encrypted or secure NFS?

hi ya antonio

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Hubert Chan wrote:

> Antonio> What would be the best route to establish an encrypted or
> Antonio> secure nfs session? I would like to be able to mount a faraway
> Antonio> (debian) machine with confidence of not being observed. Any
> Antonio> ideas?  Thanks.

dont do it... but...

> You can try tunnelling NFS over SSH.
>
> http://www.math.ualberta.ca/imaging/snfs/

http://www.Linux-Sec.net/FileSystem/

use secure rpc
use secure portmap
use secure nfs
use scp/ssh  --> use a good hard to guess/type passphrase

lock down who can mount and read/write/copy stuff back and forth

==
== assume the cracker has sniffed your encrypted nfs traffic
==

- if all that is within your work environment...  watch out for the
  dude in the other cubicle that is poking around at HR's salary
  review files

c ya
alvin