Re: Excahnge data between NTFS and Linux partitions

Hello

Andrus Moor (<eetasoft@online.ee>) wrote:

> I have dual booting system:  XP with NTFS and Debian unstable with
> ext2 file systems.
> This is Acer Travelmate notebook. Network and internet connections are
> not available usually.
>
> 1. How to allow non-root user to read XP partition ?
>
> I added a line to /etc/fstab :
>
> /dev/hda1  /xp ntfs  users,uid=andrus,exec,rw,suid,umark=0777
                                                     ^^^^^
This should be umask. Additionally, umask does not work like chmod. You
must use the complement of what you would use with chmod. Instead of
777, you would have to use 000.

> 2. How to write to NTFS partition from Linux ?
>
> The fstab line above mounts /xp as read only !

Don't even try. As far as I know, the only thing you can do is write to
files as long as their size doesn't change. Everything else does not
work reliably. Writing support for NTFS is probably disabled by default
in all Debian kernels.

> 3. How to read and write ext2 partition from Windows XP ?

Google for explore2fs.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--