Re: X and screen finding

Hello

r j (<raphigolart@raphisme.ch>) wrote:

> i installed more or less a woody on a digital venturis fx 5133 ( year
> 1996), s3 trio graphics.
>
> when i launch X, i get this : (EE) no devices detected
> fatal server error
> no screens found
>
> i'm new to gnu/linux...i read as much as i can to understand how it
> works, but i come from the mac world...
>
> if anybody knows what ( and where) i have to tune my system so that i
> can have at least a desktop displayed, it 'd be very apreciated

Check if you are using the right driver. Some S3 cards also are not
supported by XFree 4.1, so you either have to use XFree 3.3.6 instead,
which is also included in Debian 3.0, or upgrade to XFree 4.2 or 4.3.
See <http://xfree86.org/4.1.0/Status28.html#28> for more information.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--