Re: Redhat to Debian conversion

Hello

Gruessle (<debian@orces.com>) wrote:

> I did all that and it still is not working.
>
> So next what I did was install knoppix.
>
> To see if I did the config right.
> I don't know how to check the config in knoppix but at the startup
> I shaw some things.
> The nv video card driver is correct.
>
> Another advatage I have now with knoppis is that I can use webmail on
> this machine. So I have added my XFree86.0.log to the end of this
> file.
>

> XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1 / X Window System
> [...]
> Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.20-8um i686 [ELF]

Okay, I assume this is the output from XFree on Debian Woody.

> (**) |-->Input Device "Configured Mouse"
> (**) |-->Input Device "Generic Mouse"

This looks like you configured XFree using dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86.

> [...]
> (II) LoadModule: "nv"
> [...]
> (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:05:0
> (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
> (--) Chipset RIVATNT2 (Vanta) found

So the driver is right and your card is found.

> (**) NV(0): Option "UseFBDev" "true"

Aha! Try to set that to "False".

> [...]
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found

Rerun dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86. The program will remember the
settings you chose the last time. In most cases, you can just press the
enter key. However, when asked if you want to use the kernel
framebuffer, select "no".

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--