Re: control init process

hello,

> on Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 10:29:30AM +0100, anh le (lehoanganh@gmx.net)
> wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > I'm a Debian 3.0r1 newbie from vietnam.
> >
> > I have installed gdm but I want to control it behavior like follow:
> >
> > 1. After loginng in, I do not want the system run gdm immediately,
> > but stay in console mode so that I can startx as neccessary.
>
>     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/xdm-disable.html
>

> > 2. Each time I logout from gdm (System->logout) I want to come
> > back into console mode, and don't want gdm respawn again.
> >
> > Where can I find out docs, howtos  to re-write scripts my rc, init.d
> > to to achieve it
>
>     less /etc/init.d/README

FAQs on remove xdm is very helpful:
Yes Karsten, I don't want it :-)

I have googled much untill reached your Ultra-Mini Howto

In X windows,  I often open many Xterminals (Konsole or the likes)
to  do my works.

File manager seem to be useless, real work get done when I  type somethings.

update-rc.d is a very useful tool to manage init stuff.

Thank you Karsten

--
anh