fingerprints Re: Debian Investigation Report after Server Compromises

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Colin Watson wrote:

> What you'd actually want is hardware that stores the keys and does the
> signing and decryption for you, but refuses to expose the private key
> material itself to the host. Then, while a cracker could sniff your
> passphrase, the key itself would still be safe after the machine had
> been re-secured. You can go further by requiring physical presentation
> of smartcards or similar in order to use the key, which is less
> convenient but makes a passphrase more or less useless on its own.

you can also use a [warm blooded] fingerprint scanner ...
since "smartcards can be lost" ..
	- but if you lose your finger or you lose your fingerprint
	on a glass with fingerprint stealing glue, you're in deep kaka
	anyway

	- the scanners isa bout $200 or so  ( sony/nec has um )
	and somebody has the fingerprint scanner built into the keyboard

	- we did it also with twane 8.5"x11" scanners a few years back ...

have fun
alvin