Re: mouse

Hello

Dr Gavin Seddon (<gavin.m.seddon@man.ac.uk>) wrote:

> I have Debian up-and-running, the mouse won,t work though.  I have
> linked /dev/psaux and /dev/mouse this did not solve my
> prob.  Pls help?

Please write your message above the signature, otherwise many people's
email or news programs will cut away the whole message when replying.

First, please tell us whether you want to use the mouse in XFree, at the
console (via gmp) or both. Next, /dev/psaux should not be a symlink to
somewhere else. If your mouse is connected via PS/2, it must be a real
device node with major 10 and minor 1. If you replaced your /dev/psaux
with a symlink, delete it and recreate the device file with mknod. You
can of course symlink /dev/mouse to /dev/psaux, however you can also
tell gmp and XFree the real device file as well.

If you want to use your PS/2 mouse in XFree, edit the X configuration
file (/etc/X11/XF86Config-4, or, if that file doesn't exist, maybe
/etc/X11/XF86Config). My InputDevice section looks like this:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/gpmdata"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

You can also use dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 to reconfigure X.

If you don't want to use gpm for console mouse support, replace
/dev/gpmdate with /dev/psaux. Otherwise configure gpm properly.

If you have further questions, please tell us what kind of mouse you
use, how it is connected to your computer, and how the InputDevice part
or your XFree config file looks like.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--