Re: silly ALSA sound problem

Am Samstag, 6. Dezember 2003 10:41 schrieb michelle:

I am not sure if I can help. I believe ALSA mutes the mixer device, you have
to reset it to other values.

Getting ALSA to work in particular seemed easy to me. But I suggest you refere
to ALSA project page. See the soundcard matrix. In the last column
installation hints for each soundcard are givien via link. As I remember all
you would need is the driver tarball and alsa-lib. You don't even need
utitlities.

But I presume that's not what you want. If you rather think of a mixer
problem, you can use the setmixer tool coming with Debian. For that case and
in case your mixer is muted by default perform a apt-get install setmixer. It
sets mixer device during system startup and does not mute it by default.

Another source of error could be that you do not own access right to the dsp
and mixer device. Usually in Debian you can do a adduser [username] audio (as
root) and logout and login again. Now your user should get access to the
sound devices since they belong to group audio and root. No one else can.

To get sound very quick I best suggest you refering to ALSA project page.
Depend on compilation time of the source you have sound access in almost
10min of time.(Be aware you need a proper kernel tree to be able to build
alsa. It has to be got compiled least once)