Re: Now We Are Rollin'

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 02:43:25AM -0800, Scarletdown wrote
> I finally fixed my XF86 problems at last.  It seems that all I
> had to do to stop both the flickering and the crashing is lower
> the default resolution and color depth.  Previously, I was running
> 1024x768 24- Bit color.  Changing to 800x600 16-Bit color seems to
> have done the trick.

  If you can run 800 X 600 X 16, you can run 800 X 600 X 24.  Note that
"24-bit-mode" will use 32 bits, i.e 4 bytes, per pixel.  This is due to
a shortcut which pounds out whole words (16 bits) at a time rather than
bytes (8 bits).  This speeds things up, which is why it's done that way.

> It's kind of a bummer not being able to use the higher settings
> (since a 4MB S3 Virge should be able to handle it just fine), but
> it is worth the trade-off, and both the GNOME and KDE desktops look
> really nice now.  Perhaps one of these days I will score a cheap used
> 8MB PCI video card at one of the thrift stores, then I can give the
> higher resolutions another go.

  Your display resolution limit might be due to your *MONITOR*, rather
than your video card.  Your video card has enough ram to display
1600 X 1200 X 16 or 1152 X 864 X 24.  The default horizontal and vertical
frequency assignments in X may not be optimal for you monitor.  If you
have the specs for you monitor, check out...

http://koala.ilog.fr/cgi-bin/nph-colas-modelines

  The site takes your specs and generates modelines for use with X.
Note, you need to enable javascript.  This is one of the few sites where
it's actually justified to require javascript.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
Email users are divided into two classes;