Re: DVD playing slow -- dropping frames?

on Mon, 01 Dec 2003 08:50:10AM +0800, csj insinuated:
> On 30. November 2003 at 4:03PM -0800,
> John <bagdanof@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 05:27:46PM -0500, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> > > i'm trying to play DVDs.  i should have the hardware for it --
> > > an AMD Duron 950 MHz; an ATI rage fury pro video card; 512M of
> > > RAM.  but, xine and ogle both appear to be dropping frames.
>
> Aside from the DMA issues, it's quite possible you're running the
> ATI Rage Pro using the "default" unaccelarated X video driver.  To
> get hardware accelerated video you need to use "xv" (X Video
> Extension).  Is xv enabled for your card?  This might not be the
> case if you're using only the official Debian X packages.
>
> To check:
>
> $ xvinfo | grep -i adaptor

orange:~> xvinfo | grep -i adaptor
 no adaptors present

> Xine also comes with a nice utilitly called "xine-check" which
> should give you more comprehensive diagnostics, and other likely
> suspects including MTRR (or is it MTTR?).

hm, i don't see it in apt-cache search ...

> > > that same thread also suggests that this might be a DMA issue
> > > (which VERA seems to define as "digital memory access").  how
> > > can i enable
> >
> > You are sooo close!  man hdparm & enable dma on your dvd player.
>
> You can also try the echo > /proc trick:
>
> # echo using_dma:1 > /proc/ide/hdX/settings
>
> where "hdX" stands for the ide name of your presumably IDE DVD-ROM
> drive.  Also works if your drive is under SCSI emulation, although I
> haven't tried this under devfs.

looks like i (a) already have this enabled for /dev/hdc (which is my
dvd device):

orange:~# hdparm /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
 HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Input/output error
 IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 BLKRAGET failed: Input/output error
 HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument

and, that line you suggested (at least, a version of that) seems to
already be in there:

using_dma               1               0               1 rw

hmm ...

thanks,

</nori>

--