Re: Now We Are Rollin'

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 02:43:25 -0800, Scarletdown wrote:

> I finally fixed my XF86 problems at last.  It seems
> that all I had to
> do to stop both the flickering and the crashing is
> lower the default
> resolution and color depth.  Previously, I was running
> 1024x768 24-
> Bit color.  Changing to 800x600 16-Bit color seems to
> have done the
> trick.  It's kind of a bummer not being able to use
> the higher
> settings (since a 4MB S3 Virge should be able to
> handle it just
> fine), but it is worth the trade-off, and both the
> GNOME and KDE
> desktops look really nice now.  Perhaps one of these
> days I will
> score a cheap used 8MB PCI video card at one of the
> thrift stores,
> then I can give the higher resolutions another go.
>
> I also managed to get GDM configured and customized to
> my tastes, and
> I went ahead and set it up so I could log in directly
> as root if I
> feel like it.  I know that that is a security
> vulnerability, but this
> is my experimentation platform.  And when and if I do
> start setting
> up Debian systems for other people, I will of course
> configure them
> so that they can only operate as root by logging in
> normally and then
> using su to become root.  Heck, I'll be doing that for
> my primary
> workstation as well.
>
> So much to still tweak now, it's hard to fecide what
> to work on next.
>  Actually, I think the next thing I will do is get my
> Samba
> configuration file properly set up.  She is visible on
> the LAN
> already, but I still need to define some shares, and
> also set her up
> so she automatically mounts shared folders on the
> LAN's other three
> systems (currently Windows-98 all of them) at boot
> time.
>
> After that, I think it will be time to optimize her by
> deactivating
> services she doesn't need to have running,
> uninstalling extraneous
> packages, and installing packages I may have missed
> initially.
>
> Other plans for this system will include possibly
> trying to compile
> the 2.4.22 kernel and then giving SE Linux a try (that
> is Security
> Enhanced Linux, freely available from the NSA)
>
> http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/index.html
>
> Anyway, it's been a good evening, Linuxwise this time
> around.  Now I
> can go to bed with the feeling that I have gained some
> major
> experience points.  :)

You have a fair chance of gaining some unexpected experience points by
logging into X as root, unless you are unplugging all external network
devices first.  Not allowing root access to X is pretty much at the top of
my "never, ever do this under any circumstances" list.  There are several
ways in which you can get hurt, none of which I wish to advertise in an
open forum.

--

"The average lifespan of a Web page today is 100 days. This is no way to
run a culture."

Internet Archive Board Chairman