APT::Default-Release doesn't seem to affect upgrades

I have a testing system (with a few items built from unstable
sources), and just added unstable to my apt sources.list.  As
recommended in the HOWTO, I put
APT::Default-Release "testing";
in apt.conf.  I do not have an apt/preferences file.

When I tried apt-get upgrade (or dist-upgrade) it wanted to upgrade a
bunch of packages, all from unstable.  I tried commenting out unstable
from my sources.list, and apt-get upgrade becomes a no-op.

I expected apt would not use unstable unless I explicitly told it to.
What am I missing?

Many of the packages to be upgraded were from mozilla, which is
something I did build from source.  So I could sort of see this
drawing from unstable, even if I don't understand why.  But others are
definitely not like that, e..g, gnome-pim, install-doc, openuniverse.

As a side mystery,
# apt-show-versions -a gnome-pin
Not installed
No stable version
No testing version
No unstable version
gnome-pin not installed: No available versions

But it is installed.